QV INK

Holiday Cookie Recipes

Shawna Smith, Staff Writer

What’s something just about everyone likes about the holidays? Cookies, of course! Sadly, not everyone knows how to bake, bake well, at least. If you’re one of those people, that’s okay, because here is your ultimate guide to baking delicious cookies!

Recipe 1:Snickerdoodles

These cookies are similar to sugar cookies, but are rolled in cinnamon sugar before they are baked. For chocolate crinkle cookies, use chocolate cake mix rather than yellow and roll the cookies in powdered sugar rather than cinnamon sugar.

You will need:

1 box of yellow cake mix

1 stick of butter, melted

1 egg

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

2 tablespoons of white sugar

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and set it aside. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter, egg, and vanilla extract until dough forms. Roll the dough into balls (they should be about one inch). Roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar and place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten each cookie with a small cup and bake them for 10-12 minutes, or until they are set.Let them cool and enjoy!

Recipe 2: Chocolate Chip Cookies

These cookies are very soft and delicious. For a fun holiday twist, use colored chocolate chips.

You will need:

1 cup butter

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 cups milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat butter, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl. Stir the flour mixture slowly into the butter mixture until well combined; fold in chocolate chips. Place spoonfuls of dough onto a nonstick baking sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Recipe 3: Hot Cocoa Cookies

Chocolate lovers will certainly enjoy these yummy cookies! They are nice and crispy on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside. They taste just like a warm cup of cocoa on a cold winter day.

You will need:

½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

½ cup white sugar

2 cups confectioners sugar

3 egg whites

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

½ teaspoon salt

About 1 cup mini marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine cocoa powder, white sugar, and any spices or flavoring you would like (cinnamon, peppermint, etc.). Mix in confectioners sugar, egg whites, vanilla extract, and salt until the dough is smooth. Gently mix in marshmallows. Scoop dough onto one of the prepared baking sheets with a spoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cool and enjoy!

Happy baking!