QV INK

Quaker Valley vs. Derry Area WPIAL Playoffs

Brahm Gianiodis, Staff Writer

The Quaker Valley varsity football team is squaring off against Derry Area Friday night for the first round of the WPIAL Playoffs.  The game takes place at 7:30 p.m. at Quaker Valley High School Stadium.

Derry is the underdog because they are the second to last place in the WPIAL 3-A playoffs.  In terms of Pennsylvania rankings, Quaker Valley holds eighth and Derry sits at 77.  Although Derry holds that position, it doesn’t mean they are an easy win for the Quakers.  Derry has an identical record of 9-1.  Derry and QV both have great defenses. QV has allowed 12 points per game and Derry only 11.  

Many people say that Derry has been mis-seeded because they are as good as QV, but strength of schedule is what is killing Derry.  QV has played good teams and beat them.  Their only loss is to No.1 Aliquippa, who they might be facing again on Heinz Field for the WPIAL Championship.  Derry’s only loss is to No.3 Elizabeth Forward, but by a score of 39-7.  

This will be a tight game at 7:30. It is the first time these two schools have played each other. The winner faces the winner of Seton Lasalle and Freeport. Will Ricky Guss and the rest of the QV Quakers pull it off? You’ll just have to go to the game and see.

Brahm Gianiodis, Staff Writer

Hi, I'm Brahm Gianiodis.  I am a 6th grader at QVMS, and I enjoy basketball and tennis.  I recently moved to the Sewickley area and continue to enjoy...