QV INK

Hair-Raising Halloween Movies

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

David Graham, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again: The time when children go out to collect candy from random strangers whilst dressed up in costumes. For those people who would rather stay home or go to the theater to be spooked by a movie, here are three horror films (PG 13 or lower) that will scare you stiff this Halloween.

(IN THEATERS)

HAPPY DEATH DAY

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

Cast: Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard, Rudy Modine, Rachel Matthews

Directed by: Christopher Landon

Synopsis: Blumhouse (Split, Get Out, Whiplash) produces an original and inventive rewinding thriller in Happy Death Day in which a college student (Jessica Rothe, La La Land) relives the day of her murder with both its unexceptional details and terrifying end until she discovers her killer’s identity.

REVIEW: Blumhouse Productions has returned with another spooky Horror/Mystery film: Happy Death Day. This film is very much like Groundhog Day with a plot revolving around a person reliving the same day over and over again. If you had wished that Groundhog Day had more blood and suspense, then this movie will serve you as a great form of entertainment. Although predictable to some viewers, Happy Death Day will have you constantly guessing many different suspects as the mascot-wearing masked killer until the end. (Currently has a 68% Rating on Rotten Tomatoes)

(THROWBACK)

Courtesy of IMDB.com

The Sixth Sense

Cast: Haley Joel Osment, Bruce Willis, Toni Collette, Olivia Williams

Directed by: M. Night Shyamalan

Synopsis: In this chilling psychological thriller, eight-year-old Cole Sear is haunted by a dark secret: He is visited by spirits. A helpless and reluctant channel, Cole is terrified by threatening visitations from those with unresolved problems who appear from the shadows. Confused by his paranormal powers, Cole is too young to understand his purpose and too terrified to tell anyone about his torment except to child psychologist Dr. Malcolm Crowe. As Dr. Crowe tries to uncover the ominous truth about Cole’s supernatural abilities, the consequence for client and therapist is a jolt that awakens them both to something harrowing — and unexplainable.

Review: As one of M. Night Shyamalan’s first and best movies, it’s easy to say that this movie is one of the films that proved that horror movies could be scary without blood and gore. With one of the best plot twists in cinematic history, this flick will be sure to give a spook this Halloween.

(Currently has an 85% rating on Rotten Tomatoes)

(Thriller/Horror)

The Visit

Courtesy of IMDB.com

Cast: Olivia DeJonge, Ed Oxenbould, Deanna Dunagan, Peter McRobbie

Directed by: M.Night Shyamalan

Synopsis: This movie is the terrifying story of a brother and sister who are sent to their grandparents’ remote Pennsylvania farm for a weeklong trip. Once the children discover that the elderly couple is involved in something deeply disturbing, they see their chances of ever getting back home are growing smaller and smaller every day.

Review: Another M. Night Shyamalan film, and maybe even creepier than the previously mentioned one, The Visit provides effective jump scares, disturbing imagery, and, surprisingly, lots of laughs. In my opinion, this is among one of M. Night Shyamalan’s best films, even if the dialogue is a little too puny at times. Just be sure not to watch it at your grandparents’ house!

(Currently has a 65% rating on Rotten Tomatoes)

If you’re trying to find a genuinely creepy or twisted horror, I would highly recommend one the the movies on this list. Enjoy these films and have a spooky Halloween!