QV INK

Friday the 13th: How it Began and Tips to Getting out Alive

Hannah Steines-Wolfson, Staff Writer

Friday the 13th has come, and all folk should be scared. Bad luck roams everywhere from black cats passing by to spilling the salt shaker.

All superstitions aside, as you may know, today is Friday the 13th – a day known to bring bad luck to all. We all know that the 13th falling on a Friday is bad luck, but why is it known for giving misfortune? There have been many theories as to why we think this, but one of the most popular would be because several of Knights Templar were captured and tortured in France on Friday the 13th October 1307.

While walking under a ladder probably won’t cause you to get brutally tortured, you won’t want to fail your next test, because you didn’t know how to deal with bad luck. So, here are some tips on how to protect yourself today.

• If you spill salt: Toss what you spilt over your left shoulder.
  • If you walk under a ladder: Just go around the ladder; this one isn’t that hard to avoid.
  • If you break a mirror: There are a few ones for this. These methods include turning around three times in a counterclockwise circle, tossing a pinch of salt over your left shoulder, or hold the broken mirror under running water in the sink.
  • If a black cat crosses your path: Simply say “Konichiwa”; in Japan, a black cat crossing by is good luck. If you say the Japanese word mentioned above, you are said to gain the cat’s luck.

If you are just a paranoid person (like myself), you could just carry around a lucky charm for the day to protect yourself from bad luck. Charms can be just about anything that is special to you. Yours could be an old keychain, a family heirloom, a special piece of jewelry, or something classic like a rabbit’s foot or horseshoe. Though this may all sound like a waste of time, you never know when you might need some luck.

With that said, Happy Friday the 13th! Stay safe, and don’t let the spirits bite!