The Student News Site of Quaker Valley Middle School

QV INK

Quaker Valley high schooler shares her love of the stage with aspiring actors in middle school

Kat Coates, Senior Writer

The lights dim, and you look as a character of your own creation comes to life, with a plot you came up with.

This is what happens at Ruby Sevcik’s Theatre Club.

Theatre club is Ruby’ Sevcik’s Tenth-Grade Personal Project. Each week, performers from the middle school warm up and close with improv theater games.  

From February 28th to March 28th, a small cast consisting of six members met in the library to do devised theatre, which is where the script is typically written by the performers. Ruby hopes to do this again in the future, with bigger groups and different types of performers.

One of the performers, Lily Marcotte, said, “It’s really fun and it’s really small.”

Although it is small, they get a lot of work done in a two hour period every week.

The creator of the program, Ruby Sevcik, did this when she went to a theatre intensive in New York.

“I hope [students]…gain the knowledge I wish I could have gotten [in middle school],” Sevcik  said.

Evan Monski, one of the 8th grade performers, believes that writers composers, and hopeful playwrights would benefit from this program. “To be honest…it depends what type of person you are, whether you like theater, you like sports, but to be honest, I think [others] really would enjoy doing this,” Monski said.

Miralhi Taylor-Martin, one of the 6th grade participants, said, “You really don’t have to love theater in order to love theatre club because it’s skits, or it’s one skit that we’re all writing as a whole but it’s really just a fun time to enjoy others.”

Theater Club performed its mini play on Tuesday, March 28th.  Those who missed out can look forward to a second incarnation of the club that Sevcik has planned for the future.