QV INK

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child brings back the magic, but something feels off

You do not need to go to the movies this weekend to get your dose of the wizarding world. A trip to the library will suffice.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kat Coates, Editor

Expelliarmus!

Get that iPhone out of your hands and go pick up Harry Potter and the Cursed Child!

This weekend, Fantastic Beasts may be the most popular way to return to the wizarding world, but you do not need to go to the movies to bring back the magic of Harry Potter that has been missed since The Deathly Hallows.  

On July 31, J.K. Rowling took readers back into the wizarding world with an all-new Harry Potter story, where Albus Severus Potter, Harry’s younger son, is stirring up some trouble.

When Harry Potter and his son, Albus, get into an argument, Albus and his best friend, Scorpius, decide to meddle in adult matters.  Together, the young pair decide to use a banned time-travel device to go back to the events of the original Potter series, attempting to prevent the death of Cedric Diggory.  

When the pair ends of lost in time, Harry and Ginny Potter team up with their friends Ron and Hermione Granger-Weasley to search for the boys. The boys’ scheme gets dark magic involved, and it causes trouble for the entire wizarding world.

In the new tale, Harry, Hermione, and Ron seemed to be different from when they were in Hogwarts. It seems that they are too serious for who they are. I know that they have gone through all sorts of different challenges and that they are adults, but it seems like they don’t have fun. Their personalities are supposed to be fun, but serious. Their adult personalities seem too serious and stressed.

Reading this was a different reading experience from the original Potter stories, as it is a script and not a novel. While reading, I desperately wanted it to be a book. It was like reading a movie or play. You can’t really see what the characters are thinking or feeling.

It is important to note that J.K. Rowling did not write the play; instead, she wrote the story, and Jack Thorne adapted it into a play.

If you wish to see the play instead of using your imagination, you can go see it at Palace Theater in London. But if you don’t want to spend thousands of dollars just to go see a play, go read the script; it’s amazing.

This is the first Harry Potter story since the Deathly Hallows on July 21, 2007.

All in all, it’s a great story. It reads differently from the other books just because of the format.

Kat Coates, Student Editor

My name is Kat Coates, and I am a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious editor on QV Ink. I am a cheerleader for football and basketball. I sing, play violin,...