QV INK

QVMS Girls Soccer Season

Keira Currier, Staff Writer

The Middle School Girls’ Soccer team had a successful season, with a record of 4 wins, 9 losses, and 2 ties. While the record is not as cheerful as one may desire, with the losses outnumbering the wins, Coach Slencak is very proud of the team and how they’ve grown as players.

The season started off with a fierce game against Blackhawk that ended in a 2-2 tie.

Following that was a tough match against South Fayette which resulted in a disappointing 0-5 loss.

Ambridge, the next game, was a tight match, but the game ended in a 1-2 loss for Quaker Valley.

The team was able to lift their heads again after their success against Knoch, with a final score of 3-2.

Central Valley played hard and beat the Quakers 0-6, only to encourage the girls to come back harder against Hopewell, beating them 3-0.

Following their win, the girls faced off against Avonworth, but unfortunately, they were beat 0-6.

Quaker Valley fought hard against West Allegheny but were just nearly beat, the final score being 3-2.

Despite the unhappy outcome of the prior game, the Quakers redeemed themselves with two very well played wins. The first of these wins was against Beaver, with a score of 4-1, the second against Keystone Oaks, with the same outcome of 4-1.

Following this was a very hard fought game against Avonworth.

One of the best games the girls played, unfortunately, ended in a 1-2 loss, with a goal by Avonworth in the last 10 seconds of the game.

In the next game, Freedom pulled ahead and beat the Quakers 1-3. Following this, the girls lost 1-5 to Montour, despite earning the first goal of the game.

The Quakers showed Freedom what they were made of when they faced off against the team for a second time, tieing with a score of 0-0. While the girls didn’t get full redemption, they played very well compared to their first game against Freedom.

The girls finished off their season with a loss against Moon. The final score was 7-0. While the girls didn’t play their best game, they held out, and ended the season on a high note with an empowering speech by Coach Slencak, reassuring the girls that they had a good season and wishing the 8th graders luck in high school soccer if they choose to keep playing.

Hope Linge, a player on the team, says, “I think the season went really well. We won a lot more games than last year and I think we played very well together.” Reann  McCracken agrees, saying, “It went a lot better than last year. I think personally, that I improved a lot. I think the team was very dedicated to the sport.” Overall, the entire team, including Coach Slencak, agrees that the season went very well and is something to take pride in.