QV INK

QVMS vs. North Fayette Hockey Game Report

Ben Collins, Staff Writer

On Friday, September 21, the Quaker Valley Middle School hockey team lost to North Fayette Middle School, 5-4. Nick Straka made 22 saves against 27 shots, and the opposing goalie made 15 saves out of 19 shots. Luke Flowers scored twice, Hannah Fetterolf scored once, and Ben Carlson scored the final goal.

For this game, Ben Carlson got the captainship. Luke Flowers and Carter “Siuch” Siuciak got the alternate captainship. 

Ben was a leader during the game and was an ideal choice for captain since he has delivered in past seasons. After the North Fayette loss, Ben said, “We need to improve our defensive presence in front of the net.” 

Ben’s statement has never been more true. Four of North Fayette’s goals were open side plays.  The defense will need to improve in order to avoid more losses like this in the future. 

Against North Fayette, Quaker Valley lost a lot of battles in the offensive zone, which gave NF many opportunities to score. Often, QV would have the puck but be pressured to make a play.  There would have been possible pass options to the QV player near the goal or down the line, but no play would be possible due to pressure.  

Despite the loss, the team only lost by one goal, and we have the whole season ahead of us.  The next game is against Montour at Baierl Ice Complex at 8:20 P.M.

Ben Collins, Staff Writer

Hey! I’m Ben Collins. I normally do QV hockey articles because I’m a goalie for the team myself, but sometimes I do scientific articles about new developments...