QV INK

Creative Writing Contest Spotlight Winner: My Long Story

Anji Krebs, Creative Writer

My Long Story

Written by Anji Krebs

I was young and I don’t remember much from when I was small, but I remember my mother. She was so lovely and sweet, and my father was strong but gentle around me. We lived in a wonderful house in a beautiful town. My life was perfect until one day it changed. Our town was under attack. Buildings were on fire; people were running desperately. My mother picked me up and took me to an underground room, entirely made of stone and well hidden. I didn’t even know existed. I could tell that my mother was heartbroken to leave me there. I stayed there for hours, waiting until I could not hear any more screams and climbed out of my hiding spot. I saw the beautiful town that knew and loved, destroyed. My home gone. My parents no more.

I left the town and years later grew up to be a great fighter, fending for myself. I was determined to get revenge on the one who destroyed my home and family. For the years after the tragedy, I spend my time roaming the land for towns and markets.

One day, I had just haggled for a new sword and was about to leave the market when I heard something near me. I mounted my horse and followed the sound. It lead me to a deep, pitch black cave when I heard the sound again. Moaning? The moaning grew louder and louder. I drew my sword swiftly.

From the darkness a man limped out. He was filthy and injured, so I put my sword away.

”Are you ok?” I asked cautiously.

He replied in a deep, scratchy voice, ”You best move on from here, this market is known for bandits and thieves.”

I helped him to my horse. Suddenly, I heard footsteps and hoofbeats. A horde of bandits ran towards us, so I drew my sword once again and fought them off. As they ran away, I got on my horse and rode as fast as I could. Once we were as safe as possible, we stopped by a nearby pond.

“It’s starting to get dark. We should rest for the night,” I explained. The man nodded. That night, I had a nightmare. I saw my mother and my father. They were in our old house and looked so happy, but then I saw the house catch on fire. It burned to the ground along with my parents.

”No!” I jolted awake to realized it was morning. The injured man was still asleep, so I decided to go to the pond for fresh water.

When he gained enough strength to talk, I asked, “Who are you?”

“My name is Karl. I’m just a salesman in that market,” he answered. ”Who are you?”

“I’m Amy. I’m trying to find the person who destroyed my home years ago.”

We asked each other many questions and talked for a long time. I found out that he was attacked by bandits. After they took everything that he had, they left him in the cave to die.

“Well, there’s a town nearby. We can go there to get some food and fresh water.”

“Ok.”

As we walked in we walked through the town it reminded me of my childhood home: sweet, peaceful, and beautiful. We walked up to a store and bought some food. Everyone seemed so friendly.

“I don’t believe I’ve seen you before. Are you new here?” the salesman cheerfully asked.

“We’re just passing through, but it’s getting dark; do you happen to know where we could stay?”

“You could stay at my house, I have an extra bedroom and your horse can sleep with the cows,” the clerk offered.

I replied, “Wow, that’s very nice of you.”

“Follow me, my house is that one by the the farm.”

As we followed him to his house, the town brought back more and more memories from my town.

Eventually, the stranger said, ”I’m sorry, I didn’t introduce myself. I’m Nick.”

“My name is Amy and this is Karl.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you, I don’t get many visitors.”

“It’s nice to meet you too,” I said. “It’s getting late. We’ll see you in the morning,”

“Ok! Good night.”

I watched him as he left the room and while the door shut. Then, I shut my eyes, and, in just a minute, fell fast asleep.

I woke up to see that it was the middle of the night. I saw Karle sitting up, and I could tell he was thinking about something.

“Are you ok?” I cautiously asked.

“Yeah, I just can’t sleep.”

We sat there for a minute and then he spoke.

“I was just thinking about your home. Why someone would do a thing like that?”

“That’s what I want to know.”

We sat there for a while, thinking. In the morning, Nick was already awake. He was making breakfast, but Karle was still sleeping.

“Good morning. Breakfast is sitting on the table; we’re having eggs.”

“Thanks, but I think that when Karle wakes up, we will be going.”

“Yeah, about that. This is an amazing town with amazing people, but it’s the same every day. I want something new: I want an adventure. I want to go with you, please can I go with you?”

“Well I guess so.”

“Yes!”

When we were all ready to go, we went to go get my horse.

”Stay here, I need to get some stuff from my shop.”

We left the safe, friendly town and entered the dangerous world. We stopped at the edge of a large forest.

“We’ll rest here for now,” I explain.

“Ok,” They both replied.

The next morning, when I woke up, I began to notice that Nick was an early riser. He was always the first one up. Karle, on the other hand, was probably still weak from the attack, so we let him rest.

”I think we are ready to get going,” I explained.

Karle replied, “You mean we have to go through the creepy forest?”

“Come on Karle, it’s not that scary,” Nick exclaimed. We walked  through the canopy of trees. I noticed that it was very dark and extremely hard to see. I could tell Karle was still nervous, and I couldn’t blame him,. It was deep, dark, and creepy. Then, I heard rustling in a nearby bush.

“Did you hear that?” I asked as I drew my sword. Before anyone could do anything else,  a pack of wolves came rushing out of the trees.

”Run, I’ll hold them off!” I demanded.

I lifted my sword, expecting a fight, but out of nowhere, an arrow was shot right in between me and the pack of wolves. That didn’t stop them. They started walking towards me with growls and snarls. Even more arrows were shot right in front of the wolves. Spooked by the arrows, they started running the other direction. Then, I saw a figure holding a lamp.

“Are you ok?” he exclaimed. As he walked closer, I saw he had a bow in his hand and a dog walking behind him.

”It’s not safe here. The wolves will be back. Maybe you and your friends should come with me,” he spoke in a deep voice. We followed the man to a small hut with a fire surrounded by a large fence.

“We didn’t get your name,” Karle pointed out.

“My name is Tom,” he pointed at his dog and said,”and this is Bark.”

“My name is Amy.”

“I’m Karle.”

“And I’m Nick, it’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you too.”

“We’re trying to find the one who destroyed my home.”

“Someone destroyed your home, who would do such a thing?” Just then we heard howling and Bark started to growl.

“The wolves,” Karle declared.

“Wait, did you close the gate,” Tom asked, concerned. Before we could answer, wolves started rushing in.

”Oh no, we’re trapped!”

“Don’t worry, I have a back gate, come on!”

We ran as fast as we could until we knew we were safe.

“My home!” Tom cried. “Now where are we going to stay?”

“You can come with us, Tom,” I assured him, “Bark can come too.”

“Really? Thanks.”

When we finally made our way out of that forest, we entered a flowered field.

“Let’s rest here for now, and then we can stop at that town,” I said, pointing at a town in the distance.

The next morning, we packed up and made our way into the town. It wasn’t as friendly and welcoming as the place we met Nick. It was busy and crowded. The people  gave us an unfriendly scowl, so we didn’t stay there long, instead just buying some things and leaving. We just kept going until we stopped at what looked like a temple.

I saw a map on the wall, so I went to get a closer look. A couple towns were crossed off, but one town caught my eye: It was the town I lived in before it was attacked.

We heard a voice bellow, “Intruders!”

Armed men came running towards us. We managed to take down the first wave, but more and more kept coming. It was too much for us to take. We were captured and taken to a room of gold.

”These are the trespassers that my men captured, sir.” the man said to another man who was sitting an a golden throne. I knew he must’ve been the man who destroyed my town.

“You! You were the one who destroyed my town!”

I was so angry at this terrible man. I wanted so badly to avenge my parent’s death, but he was surrounded by guards.

“Ah, you remember me. You must be so mad, and I know what I did. I have no regrets.”

“What should I do with them, sir?” the other man asked.

“Take them to the dungeon and throw them in a cell.”

“Yes sir.”

As we walked to the dark eerie dungeon, I noticed that one of the guards keys were loose. I reached my hand to grab the keys without them noticing me. They locked us in the cell and slammed the door.

Karle, Nick,Tom, Bark and I sat there on the cold floor

“Guys, I managed to get the guards’ keys, but we need to forge an escape plan,” I explained to them. We spent a while in the cell planning our escape. The plan was that when all the guards go off to lunch, we would open the cell door to the golden room.` There would be a couple guards in there, so we would have to move fast. Then, after the guards were taken care of, I would go in for the leader.

It was brilliant, and we waited for the guards lunch to sneak in to the gold room. At least ten guards stood there while we all attracted. It was going perfectly until the leader yelled, ”Guards!”

All the guards came rushing in, and within seconds we were completely surrounded. I couldn’t take it anymore. I rushed in to attack.

Guards tried their hardest to protect their leader, but it was to late. I stared him in the eyes and saw all the horrible memories.

With one swipe of my sword, my mission was complete.