QV INK

Lunchbox Guide

Keira Currier, Staff Writer

Do you need a way to add some excitement to your lunch?  If so, this is the article for you. Here, you can find tasty new snacks and meals to pack in your lunch.

PB&J Sandwiches

Instead of a regular Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, you can try pairing peanut butter with Nutella, everybody’s favorite chocolate spread, on a sandwich for a delicious new twist. You can also substitute honey out for jelly to make a change from the usual combination. If you have an allergy to peanuts or tree nuts, you can swap out the toxic spread for sun-nut butter!

Deli Sandwiches

If you’re tired of eating sandwiches with the same lunch meat every single day, try replacing your meat with another. You can use turkey, ham, bologna, or even pepperoni. To add another flavor to your new sandwich, try adding a different kind of cheese. Some delicious cheeses that are perfect on sandwiches are muenster, American, provolone, and swiss. To top it off, you can experiment with bread types. You can use whole wheat bread, Italian bread, a ciabatta roll, pita bread, and many more for your new and improved sandwich.

Other Entrees

There are entrees other than sandwiches that you can pack in your lunch. For example, you can take a fresh salad for a new, exciting main course for your school lunch. If you’re not a salad enthusiast, there are other options. You can heat up pasta, rice, or meat  leftovers and put them in a thermos to have a hot meal for lunch. You could even get some tortillas and make a wrap for a change of flavors.

Fruits and Vegetables

It’s important to include a fruit and/or vegetable in your lunch so that you can get nutrients and natural sugars. While baby carrots and apple slices meet this criteria and are very good for your health, they don’t always meet flavor expectations. If you’ve grown disinterested in your daily fruits and vegetables, try checking the produce aisle of your grocery store! Clementines are a great fruit to put in your lunch as they require no preparation before school. You can also try putting some berries in a plastic bag or tupperware. The veggie side is a bit trickier, as most vegetables are better after they’re cooked. Despite this disadvantage, there are still ways to improve your veggie selection. In substitute for your baby carrots, you can cut up some cucumbers.

Snacks

Sometimes the same snacks time after time can start to make you despise that snack. You can change up your selection simply by inspecting new snacks! You can alternate your everyday bag of potato chips for a new flavor or brand. Some flavors you might want to try are sour cream and onion, honey barbeque, or, if you have a craving for something spicy, Flamin’ Hot Lays Chips. You can also try some homemade snacks. If you have time at home, you can try making your own granola bars or blend some nuts, seeds, and dried fruits to make you own trail mix. If you don’t like nuts or seeds, you can make a snack mix by combining chips, pretzels, and bite size chocolate candies like M&Ms.

Drinks

Most students only bring water to drink at lunch, and some don’t bring anything at all. If you’re tired of drinking water everyday, you can bring in a juice box or milk. If you still want the flavor of juice or soda but don’t want the extra sugar, can bring in a packet of water flavoring powder that will add more flavor to your water. Another possibility is bringing a smoothie in a thermos! If you have time in the morning, or the night before, you can blend yourself a smoothie and pour it into a thermos for a fruity drink later.

Keira Currier, Editor & Staff Writer

Hi! I’m Keira, and I’m in 8th grade. My favorite book series is the Arc of the Scythe series, and I am impatiently awaiting the publish of the third...